Tuesday, January 14, 2014

New Food Adventure


Let the Food Adventure Continue! 
 
Now that I have conquered The Big Three , I am getting set to climb the next culinary peak.  One that appears almost insurmountable.  What is this vast mountain?  S-U-G-A-R!  And I am not talking about just the obvious forms of sugar (cane, beet, succanat, honey, coconut/palm, etc), but ALL sugar including all things fruity (with a few very, very tart exceptions) and all things fake (which I don't use anyway).  Yikes!  Good-bye all things yummy and delicious.


Now I knew when I found out about my food sensitivities that I also needed to ditch all things sugar for a minimum of 3 months.  Why on earth would I ever try to torture myself this way?   Well I seem to have a mild Candidiasis overgrowth in my digestive tract.  Lovely.
I have unsuccessfully tried since finding out to break up with all things sweet.  I have yet to last even 2 weeks.  This has to be the hardest thing...food wise...that I have ever in my entire life tried to do.  However, now that Christmas and New Years Eve are slowly fading in the rear view mirror, I believe I can now take on this last hurdle (fingers crossed) to the new healthier me.  That said, I am going to be utilizing a new tool to jump start my journey. 


I was doing the bi-monthly grocery shopping (all by myself, no little muddlers) and I ran across this book, The 21 Day Sugar Detox.  It intrigued me.  It appealed to me.  It begged me to buy it.  I picked it up and perused, drooled over recipes, and then placed it in my cart.  21 days, menu's already planned, pre-made and printable shopping lists!  Um, Yes. The prep work has (mostly) been done for me.  A lot of the food my family will simply eat along with me which is even better! 

**Some of the recipes use eggs so I will have to replace those, and some call for seafood in various forms which I dislike and my DH has a shell fish allergy so I will avoid those (except the ones with tuna...I like tuna)**

Now 3 days post shopping trip I am sitting down and finding the replacement recipes for those that I cannot (or will not--in the spirit of truthfulness here) eat.  Also, I am trying to eat up those things in my house that I know I will not be able to resist if they are sitting in my house. 
Like these super delicious chocolate coconut butter cups I whipped up last Friday.  They are mouth meltingly good!  These are my last four.  They will be gone by tomorrow at the very latest.
 
Inspired by my own mother (her blog: A Journey to Health--One Step at a Time ) and encouraged by her to blog my 21 Day Sugar Detox challenge, I will try to blog each day (four kids and homeschooling family that we are, we may have a few misses here and there). I am taking the first step toward the summit. 
Today is Day 0.  The day before I officially begin.
 
Let the Detox begin!!
 
P.S.  Those delicious chocolate treats pictured above?  Yep, gone already.  Sigh, this is going to be difficult.

2 comments:

  1. I will be looking forward to ALL your postings - just pretend I am checking your homework once again! Actually, I am so proud of you for taking such a gigantic step on the journey to your healthy you! Cheering from afar! Love you, kiddo! Oh yeah - and thnks for plugging my blog!

    ReplyDelete