Sunday, May 30, 2010

Nathan's Heart

I love my son! Of course I do, he's my son, but let me explain why I got that mommy warm fuzzy feeling in particular.
So Nathan's birthday is August the 10th and because of that we 'celebrated' at school on Thursday, May 27th with cupcakes. He has a little girl in his class who is wheat sensitive and we made special (and quite tasty) wheat free chocolate cupcakes for her and I put the same white frosting on her cupcake as the other chocolate cupcakes. As we are getting ready to hand them out, his fabulous first grade teacher noticed he was looking sad or upset about something. At this point my darling son started to break down and cry (not harsh sobbing, just I'm upset and my eyes are leaking and mouth is sad looking cry). The reason for his tears you ask? Though we had made a special cupcake for Halley, Kylie who has no allergies or sensitivities that I am aware of, doesn't like chocolate. He was upset because she wasn't going to get to enjoy the cupcake. How sweet is that!!! Of course had I known that we probably would have gotten a different kind, but I had no foreknowledge of such a dislike.
On a note off my sons soft heart, I was impressed with the caring and concern shown by the others in his class. Several of the boys in his class got up when they realized he was crying and started patting his back and head and telling him that it was going to be all right. And Kylie, who indeed did not eat her chocolate cupcake, piped up and said "It's OK Nathan, it has white frosting. It's all good!"
I hope all of these children never lose their caring hearts for other people!

No comments:

Post a Comment