Thursday, December 30, 2010

Winter Snow and Spring Garden

Well there are several inches of snow on the ground and I am contemplating my garden. I have been looking through seed catalogues and spending hundreds of dollars on all the things I want...at least in my head I have. Always seems strange to me to contemplate my garden in the middle of winter, but I'd like to plant peas this year and they need to go in March or so.
Thanks to our new limited budget, I am going to make a go of actually planting and harvesting enough food to keep us through most of the winter. Not my favorite thing as I like the idea of a garden much more than the actual dirt. Probably because my allergies are so very horrible that it is awful to go pull weeds and what not. However, that said, I will be doing it anyway to try and salvage some of our money...maybe if I pull it off we won't be so deep in the red next year.
Blech to not enough money!
So this is what I want to plant for sure this year: corn, peas, green beans, wax beans, tomatoes, turnips, parsnips, potatoes, carrots, radishes, spinach, beets, zucchini, crook neck squash, spaghetti squash, pumpkins. I'm sure there is more, but my list is not in front of me.
We also have a rhubarb patch, grapes, apple trees, pear trees and I would love to add a heavier bearing cherry tree as well as a couple of peach trees. We really are blessed with abundance in this area. Of course this is assuming a good spring and summer. Last year it was so cold and wet that our garden didn't really do all that well and we got almost no apples or pears and oddly I didn't see any rhubarb come into the house.
My other desire which probably won't come to fruition this year is to add a couple of Goji berry bush/trees and at least two paw paw trees. They both sound yummy and beautiful.
Off to clean and continue planning what is going to be a massive garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment